Repair-Restoration -a labor of crochet love (COMPLETED)
This afghan has seen a lot of years and a lot of love. The yarn is breaking down and there were so many areas that needed attention, so much of it was damaged or thread bare. I could not get to every area in need unless it was dismantled. A lot of the yarn was beginning to disintegrate. Many of the squares were so badly damaged, I could not save them.
During the dismantle, I salvaged as much of the dark yarn as possible so I could repair squares with the same yarn; I couldn't find anything even close to match it. The cream colored yarn was even more worn and could not be saved at all. I found a lighter wool to use and then after some squares were repaired, I found an even better match for the cream - almost exact! This was a great find because more of the lighter yarn would be needed for repairs and for replacement squares later on.
A year and 180 squares later... I nearly have all the damaged squares repaired (there were a few that still had enough integrity I didn't need to repair them). Reinforcing edges has begun as well as making replacement squares for the the ones lost in the revival of this heirloom. I am hopeful I will be able to reunite this beloved afghan to it's owner this year. This has truly been one of the most challenging refurbishments I've attempted. I was not prepared for the delicate state of the fiber, but I am so happy to be on the re-building side of this project. I'll post more pictures here as I progress. Stay tuned...
4/30/20 The project continues - I'm done with all of the square repairs. Making the fill-in granny squares now.
June 2020- Time to start assembly - so excited to see this come together!
August 2020-completed and returned to it's owner. It will be handed down to the next generation... to wrap up in and get a hug from from their great grandmother!